Thursday, June 18, 2009

Broken Dreams and Spilled Milk

Wasn't it just a couple days ago that I posted a picture of my great plum tree? I wanted to document our harvest in case it was a one time deal. Well... it was a one time deal.
I went outside this morning to find one of the branches had broken. This little tree has had a hard year. Last spring one of our huge eucalyptus trees dropped a large branch on it and took out two branches. So now we are down to one branch. It's such a great old tree and makes such yummy plums. I still love you little Charlie Brown tree!

Okay, I didn't say it was a big, important dream!
But I like my plum tree!


This is the big, bad eucalyptus that took out two branches last year. Charlie Brown is at the bottom.


So I decided to clean out my closet. Apparently I was about two weeks too late. I know, how could I not notice this. I don't really have an answer to that. It's milk. It's not moving. It should be moving! It's moments away from becoming a piece of cheese. Once I did see it, all I could smell was rotten milk. It was so bad I had to go get Harvey and make him smell it. (I like to share these kinds of things with him). Fortunately, the bag of nice gift bags was there to soak up some of the milk. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Whatever happened to "no shirt, no service"?


When we moved into our house we really didn't think much about how many trees we had or what kind they were. Our backyard was so dry the dirt seemed more like concrete. We watered and moved onto other projects. We have been amazed at how many trees have perked up and several who started producing fruit. This last winter we had a tree full of oranges and now we have a little lemon tree working really hard on half a dozen lemons. I love all of our fruit trees. I think we are going to have to add a couple more by the shed. We can be a lot like these trees: look alive, even healthy, but have no fruit. We too, need water. Not just regular water, but 'living water', to have the fruit that only Christ can produce. In Jeremiah it says:
"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."




1 comment:

Eve D'Onofrio said...

Hi Jane,

We just ready your June 12th post. We are SO sorry about this delay. We know how much you want your son to be at home and we have our fingers crossed that it happens very soon!

Eve & Robert