Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Family Connections

We had a really good trip and I am very happy that we went.  Despite the fact that my brother and I have two lifetimes of flying…we broke every rule our pilot father taught us.  Got to the airport late, packed check-in bags…see where this is going?  Long day/story short, we finally got my brother’s suitcase at 2:00am and to the hotel at 3:00.  It was really nice when the snow removal started scraping snow under our window at 3:30!  It was not a restful trip, but a fulfilling one. 

My roots are in Pittsburgh, PA.  Both of my parents were born and raised there.  Now that my grandparents are all gone the visits are more and more rare.  After my mom died contact with her family ended for quite a long time.  The first time I saw my mom’s sister again was in college.  My uncle had business nearby so they met me for dinner.  I remember nearly gasping when I saw my aunt.  Her resemblance to my mom brought back so many memories.  I just couldn’t stop looking at her.  Over the last several years we have built a wonderful relationship and I have had a chance to learn more about my mom’s side of the family and more about my mom.   As my aunt and I sat together we started talking about our shoes.  She mentioned she always wears shoes with straps.  “Do you you have really narrow heels?” I asked.  Turns out our feet our exactly the same size and shape.  Next we moved on to our oddly bent fingers.  Exactly the same!  Amazing that such simple things could mean so much to me.  Will Erik long to make connections like these as well?  Will he want to find someone who looks like him or who knows his family’s history?  I don’t know if he will, but  I will understand it if he does.  Though it was a sad occasion, we really had a good time being together.  

So our family is just as confusing on the other side!  My father didn’t learn that he was adopted until he was 60.  Over the last ten years I have enjoyed getting to know his sister.  We got to visit her for breakfast before we left.  Again it was a time filled with family stories and history.  Turns out these horrible ridges in my nails can be traced to Grandpa!  While Harvey and I had been to her home before, it was my brother’s first time.  After spending my whole life thinking I was French, how fun to find out we are Italian.  True to form, my aunt prepared homemade meatballs and gnocchi for breakfast!

2010-02-28_001

  Both of these churches can be seen from my aunt’s front window. 

2010-02-28_016 

 

2010-02-28_017

 

2010-02-28_029

 So many of these rural PA towns have all but shut down. 

2010-02-28_021

2010-03-01_023

 I didn’t get home until 10:30.  Guess who came running to the door!  Harv was fast asleep but Ryan was too excited to sleep.  He was full of hugs and kisses and had so much to show me.  He helped make me a cake!

2010-03-01_027

 Thank you Aunties for the yummy cheesecake!

 

        2010-03-01_014 2010-03-01_021  

“The Unknown Toddler”

2010-03-01_024

I got two presents from Harv:  gardening gloves (which I’ll wear gladly) and these!  YES…they are little crabs.  Of course he just wanted to gross me out and he did.  And yes, he eats them! 

2010-03-01_026

2010-03-02_006

 Had to bring home something!

2010-03-02_001

So glad to be home!

No comments: