Friday, April 23, 2010

64 Fluid Ounces

Well we made it to our playdate!  The first thing Erik did was fall and slam his face into their door.  It all went well once he recovered! 

A friend had recently told me about a new ‘cheese’ that Whole Foods was carrying.  She said it actually melted so I decided to try again.  I bought Ryan some pizza dough and sauce and told him we were making pizza for lunch.  Harvey came into the kitchen while we were putting on the sauce and I gave him a little cheese to try.  “That is disgusting!!  That is the worst…..”  It went on and on until we finally met eyes.  I shot off my VERY unhappy wife eyes and tried to distract Ryan who kept saying, “What’s so terrible?”  Well, it didn’t get any better.  After finishing this large pizza Ryan finally got to try it.  Ryan said, “You know, I like the dough and sauce, but this cheese really isn’t good.”  I think it’s time to stop buying ‘cheese’.

  2010-04-23_010

 

 

2010-04-23_005

 

 

2010-04-23_011

I don’t know that this looks all that good, but this was the best spaghetti and meatballs I have ever made and the easiest.  I am so happy to have another good recipe.  I’ve been in a recipe slump.  It’s from Giada De Laurentiis and I like almost everything she makes.  This is her turkey meatballs and basic marinara sauce in case you’re in the mood for Italian.

On the way home from an errand this afternoon I decided to stop and get some more bubbles for our bubble-minded kids.  I found a great deal-64oz’er for $2!  I let Ryan hold it (can you see where this is going?) as we walked around the store.  “This is like carrying a baby,” he said.  Then I heard a crash and turned around to see about 60 ounces of bubbles already spreading across the floor and under the displays.  (All of you with very small children be warned of Ryan holding your children).  Ryan took a step and went down.  I saw an older woman headed towards us (and a hip replacement) so I recruited the closest customer to guard the growing affected area so I could get some help.  The girl was so sweet (guessing she’d never tried to clean up 64 ounces of liquid soap before.)   I tried to pay for it but the cashier wouldn’t hear of it and was so nice to Ryan.  She told him she had broken lots of things in the store before (wondering if her manager is aware of that) and that made him feel so much better.  So we left: three small bottles of bubbles for $3, two soapy flip-flops, and a heap of trouble!

No comments: