Monday, November 15, 2010

Adoption is like a Dorito

I decided to get some feelers out just to see where we (and by ‘we’ I mean Harvey) were at, so as we were driving to get our fingerprints done for Erik’s adoption, you know, right at the beginning of the process, I told Harvey about an article I had read in which the author had said that once you adopt it’s awfully hard not to do it again…  With my usual wit and clarity I explained, ”It’s like eating a Dorito, you know, you can’t stop at just one!”   When he didn’t slam on the brakes, literally or figuratively, I knew I could leave it alone…until the first adoption was done that is.  I forced myself to wait a whole month after Erik came home before I called the agency to see when we could start the process again.  So, the morning after Erik’s adoption was final we mailed in our application.  Apparently that is the soonest they allow.  Although we probably could have mailed it on our way home from the courthouse!  The delays and frustrations started immediately.  I was actually taken aback by how frustrating it was so early on, thinking I was prepared for it this time.  Each journey is its own.  We waited 16 days for Erik’s referral…those days are way over.  We have been told it could be 6 months or more for a referral and a longer wait once we have been matched.  Good thing I’m not getting any older!  Who doesn’t want to be changing diapers in their 40’s!  Underneath the layer of pessimism, I am a true optimist!  It could be sooner and I may well enjoy my late 40’s diaper free.  Meanwhile…I kinda feel like some Doritos!   

2 comments:

Michael said...

Good luck. I pray for your family.

Anonymous said...

Kami sekelompok relawan dan memulai inisiatif merek baru dalam sebuah komunitas. weblog Anda diberikan kepada kita informasi berharga untuk bekerja pada. Anda telah melakukan pekerjaan yang menakjubkan!